Friday, June 27, 2008

The letter B: Your manifest destiny

Dear Baby B,

Thanks for the kicks and rolls last night. I hope I didn't scare you too much talking into Mama's belly. The acoustics must be a nightmare in that uterine balloon you're floating in. I'll try to be more sensitive to that.


We're getting closer to your arrival and our anticipation is palatable; sometimes it's like honey and sometimes it's like hot sand. But that's just your parents to B (get it?) embracing the worry and the love. My Mama, your Nana, always says you have to go through it, not around it. And we wouldn't want it any other way.


I'm reading a wonderful novel now called The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. The book is narrated by a dog, Enzo, and it's a touching philosophical love and cry fest. I won't spoil anything for you (although it'll be many years before you read it) or anyone else, but there's one phrase that's stuck on the roof of my mouth, like sugar cookie dough:


That which you manifest is before you.


I know that's a lot to chew on for a fast-growing fetus (at 3 pounds now!), but it's a little prayer we'll be sharing with you over the years to come.


Manifest goodness and light, B. No matter what. Be true to your heart and as you experience failure while learning to succeed, manifest goodness and light. The darkness is over-rated and only gives you belly aches and headaches and horrible sleep.


Here's something related to jot down in your fetal journal from the best-selling book Happy for No Reason:


One evening a Cherokee elder told his grandson about the battle that goes on inside people's heads. He said, "My son, the battle is between the two 'wolves' that live inside us all. One is Unhappiness. It is fear, worry, anger, jealousy, sorrow, self-pity, resentment and inferiority. The other is Happiness. It is joy, love, hope, serenity, kindness, generosity, truth and compassion."


The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?"


The old Cherokee simply replied --


"The one you feed."


That which you manifest is before you.


Last night I read you and Mama Piggy Wiglet and the Great Adventure. In the beginning Piggy "trotted off to have some fun – to play all day and chase the sun."


Then at the end:


"I bet that I'm

The only one,"

He said, "who ever

Caught the sun,

And that's a secret

Hard to keep!"


That which you manifest is before you. Catch the sun, B. And share the light with everyone you meet.


By the way, I'm going to play with all your toys before you do.


I love you,

Daddy K


P.S. – I picked up and threw away two bags of trash the past two days while running and walking, B. Just like I said I would. Your Mama helped too, but with you in her belly bending over is tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment