Monday, September 24, 2007

Good Intentions

When I launched this blog a month ago, I had good intentions to post a few times a week to offer my comments and daily learned insight on how to make a positive difference in our world.

Good God, I wonder how many bloggers (writers) have said, wrote, posted this. Probably too many to count.

But I’m back to try again. The whole point of this blog is to help me, and hopefully others, GET OFF THE GROUND and do something, however small, to make a difference in their lives, their communities, our world.

It’s comforting to stretch out under a blue, sunny sky or a starry night and dream about a better world – but I know we can do more than dream. I know I can do more than dream.

I’m reading Bill Clinton’s Giving now, and while the former U.S. president may not hold governments at all levels as accountable as he should, I’m finding it an invaluable look at the “giving” landscape and how any one of us can give money, time, things, and so on.

A few years ago I volunteered for a short time in our local library “book buddy” system delivering books to seniors who had no means to go to the library and check their own books out.

But besides helping my friends and family when needed, I’ve never really volunteered much or tried to make a difference in my community.

Until now. And although I’m busy with work and enjoying the fruits of my labor, I am the president of our HOA board, and my wife and I have started to make a difference in our neighborhood, and not just for the sake our home values.

It’s a start – one that takes a step beyond good intentions, hoping someone else will make our world a better place.

That’s where we come in.

Another place to start is VolunteerMatch. I found this in Bill's book and it’s what I’m checking out next.

No comments:

Post a Comment