Saturday, March 3, 2012

To captain a milk carton boat

Milk carton boat 2

The rain stopped. I splashed happily outside and ran to our yard's edge. The swollen gutter rushed along, carrying sticks and other debris to the storm drain depths at the end of the street.

Mesmerized, I bent slowly and set the milk carton boat into the churning water. I held on for a moment, unsure I should let it go. A stick hit the back of the boat and then flipped around and shot downstream from the force of the water.

I let go. Oddly the boat didn't move at first as though it were anchored in place, but then I gave it a nudge and it was off!

I chased the boat down the street electrified and practically elevated off the ground. I imagined I captained the boat, battling the rapids and the junk swirling around me, surging onward with full sail to the point of no return --

The world we grow up to know, sometimes mindful of the rapids, sometimes carried away.

Ah, to captain a milk carton boat...

"Hey Sis, you know how to drive this thing, right?"

"Sure thing. What's this wheel for again?"

Right on, girls. Godspeed.

IMG 1560

 

2 comments:

  1. A most-excellent post, Kevin! Especially this snippet: "... surging onward with full sail to the point of no return."

    Sail on, Captain!

    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jacqui! One of these days the B-hive will go sailing with you.

    ReplyDelete