Sunday, December 26, 2021

To Smile And Laugh And Sing Along

The Facebook post was clear, something had happened to her. When someone writes "you will be missed," that is telling. The person in question was one of the beloved teachers from our girls' grade school. Beatrice didn't have her as a teacher, but she was Bryce's combined kindergarten-1st grade teacher. 

I came into the house from my office and asked my wife Amy if she heard anything about Miss Tina, as the teacher was known at school, but she hadn't. I went back out to my office, and shortly after that, Amy texted me while I was on a call: "Come in when you’re off the phone."

It was December 23, and what Amy found out was that Miss Tina had suddenly passed away from a brain aneurysm the day before, only three days before Christmas. She was married with two teenage kids, too. She was also around my wife's age, and what I didn't know about brain aneurysms was that women are more likely than men to have a brain aneurysm, and those over the age of 55 have a higher risk of brain aneurysm rupture than men. 1 in 50 people in the U.S. have an unruptured brain aneurysm.

I can't imagine this happening to Amy. I don't want to imagine it happening, not with two kids in tow. But we're both north of 50 now, and no matter how healthy we are, or think we are, anything can happen at any time. Which is why we embrace and celebrate every moment with each other and with our children. 

Our hearts go out to Miss Tina and her family. I found a picture I took in her classroom from years ago of Bryce and her class listening to songs and singing along. And there was Miss Tina in the back, thoroughly enjoying the singing, embracing and celebrating every moment with her class. That's how I remember her,  how calm and relaxed she always seemed, always Zen, and always smiling. 

I asked Bryce what she remembers the most about her teacher. She said she remembers how Miss Tina always helped kids smile and laugh, especially those who were having a bad day. 

So, blessings to you, Miss Tina. You will be missed. Thank you for reminding us to smile and laugh and sing along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment