Sunday, April 18, 2021

A Second to Go South

"In the desert, you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain..."

It was the stars I remember the most. The nights were dark and the sky clear, with little to no external lighting around us save our camper's strip of outside LED's. The night sky sparkled like a diamond-encrusted ocean.

We took our family to the desert for spring break near Joshua Tree National Forest, and out of all the fun things we did, looking up at the twinkling stars before going to bed was the most relaxing for me. Of feeling safe and content. Of endless positive possibilities. Not a care in the world. "'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain."

But that was an illusion, because there are still those who are everywhere giving out pain of all kinds. Too many broken people with guns willing to take lives. 600 mass shootings in 2020 and 147 so far in 2021

I grew up in a law enforcement family; I grew up with guns. I never like them much, though. When I was 8 years old, I took my Red Ryder BB gun to what used to be called Little Forrest where I grew up, a small grove of Central Valley oak trees where we used to go as kids. I shot at a black bird and hit its wing, maiming it, and then I cried. 

Four years later my mom married my police officer step-father. Early in their relationship he hunted deer and dove, something I had no interest in. A year later, a man broke into our home carrying a large Bowie knife and was right outside our bedroom doors. I posted the story way back in 2012. My mom and dad woke up and my dad chased him out of the house and down the street. My mom then asked me to take my dad's gun to him. I carried it like a dead rat out to the street. My family has been gun owners for a long time, and it was clear early on I was never going to be comfortable with them.

And that's fine. Today, however, our children could be shot in their own schools (now that they're back to in-person school). We could be shot just going to the store. Or anywhere for that matter. And if our children were black, they could be shot just because they were black. Or Latino. Or Asian. Or any race other than being white. 

For those who are lawful gun owners who have had proper safety training, thank you. I do not want your guns taken away from you, but unfortunately you do not make me or my family feel any safer. Because when any of our lives go south, which can happen without warning, with a flash of anger after one drink too many, and/or when suffering from depression, and/or other mental disorders manifest, and/or when struggling with addiction, and/or when so many other problems can compromise safety, gun safety grays out and lives are at risk. 

Also, citizens armed to the teeth standing in front of state capitals or our nation's capital do not make me feel safer. White supremacist military and law enforcement do not make me feel safer. Permitted guns buried deep in your purses or under your car seat. Guns locked away in a safe buried deep in our closet do not make me feel safer.

I don't know how much gun reform will help in the long run, if it ever passes, like universal background checks. No matter what though, our families can practice safety skills every single day. We can also think about the why of the safety skills we practice, how can we prevent dangerous behavior before we're forced to protect ourselves. Back in 2019 I shared that one of the Kidpower instructors I admire (besides my wife, of course) inspired me with this analogy:

When we're literally on fire, we're taught to -- Stop, Drop and Roll -- to extinguish the fire.

But why are we on fire in the first place? What happened to cause the fire? What things can we do to prevent these fires in the future? To make ourselves safer? To make our families safer? To make our communities safer?

In light of the continued mass shootings of late, we need to keep our fears in check and work hard to be aware and prevent these tragedies from happening in the first place, including:

  • Practice skills for taking charge of your safety and your family's everyday
  • Learn and practice the safety plan at your school/business
  • Practice speaking up about safety to those with power to act
  • Practice overcoming the “Bystander Effect" and empowering yourself and others to take action
  • Help strengthen a positive social climate in your community

These being just a few of the Kidpower Safety tips for individuals and families

With these safety tips, I long for the peaceful stillness of the desert's starry night we experienced on our spring break. Of feeling safe and content. Of endless positive possibilities. Not a care in the world. But this illusion of gun safety today is heartbreaking, because no how matter responsible people think they are with guns, they do not make my family feel any safer. It only takes a second to go south. 

No comments:

Post a Comment