Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Back to School with Personal Responsibility 101

I know it’s been a long time since I’ve been in school, and Bea’s still a few years away from starting, but why aren’t there these classes required in high school AND for those who attend college:
  • Parenting 101
  • Personal Finance 101
  • Nutrition & Exercise 101

Mercy, there are so many other courses about religious studies and critical thinking and philosophy and non-essential garbage (most of which are in college, not high school), but why aren’t there classes on parenting, personal finance, nutrition & exercise?

And why aren’t more parents committed to changing this? Isn’t it bad enough that “sex education” is still so controversial in school these days with teenage sexuality and STD’s so prevalent?

Maybe most parents don’t know what they never missed. Sure, many of us turned out just fine and our kids most likely will as well, but I believe we can make more of a difference in the lives of our children and our children’s children.

And what about a Morality 101 class? Make it required as well along with Personal Responsibility 101.

When I was in high school there was a marriage and family class – that I didn’t take. It was seen as an easy ride to an “A” with a fake wedding at the end with cake and fanfare. I remember my high school counselor specifically telling me not to take the class.

I’m all about prevention prior to praying for help after the fact. My mother used to send us to Sunday school to pray for her and my birth father – to pray the violence would end.

Anger management 101? I’m in for that one too. (I’m non-denominational humanitarian with a 2-8 Enneagramarian temper and thousands of years of culturally and religiously sanctioned abuse and violence have got to go.)

If we could help prevent one domestic violence case or one child abuse case or one obesity case or one bankruptcy case – wouldn’t you be an advocate for these preemptive required classes?

If anyone knows of these types of required classes that exist today in public or private education, please let me know. I’m still too old school and would love to write about them.

Bea thanks you!

1 comment:

  1. It is better to be prepared than to wait until things go wrong for sure. Getting kids to take the classes and pay attention might be another subject.

    ReplyDelete