Sunday, July 24, 2011

Daddy Day in Monterey

He beat me 3 to 1.

IMG 1012

With the kids, that is, at least for our Daddy Day in Monterey. One of my best friends from college; a man like me who never thought he would have children (or really wanted them, until he did).

And now we do. The score is actually 3 to 2, but I didn't take Bryce with me this time, only Beatrice. Just a little fun Daddy time with the elder B.

But my friend, Troy? He has a three. A four-year-old and two two-and-a-year-old twins (boy and a girl).

I thought giving the Mama and me a badge of honor for surving the B-hive on our recent family vacation was worthy.

However, a soon-to-be-divorced dad with three little kids? I was in awe on how he managed all three, with a loving but firm, efficient style, whether it was out our house, at the Monterey Bay Aquarium or during lunch at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

And we had an amazing time. The kids were good at almost every turn and Bea was thrilled to bits to play with Troy's oldest. If we lived closer, we'd be getting together more often. We don't, though, so these times are precious.

IMG 1015

One of the precious moments was when all the kids were next to me and I was telling Beatrice to look at the camera. I then imagined what it would be like to have five children.

And I passed out.

When I awoke, another precious moment was watching Bea chase a penguin swimming around in the tank -- or more accurately, watching the penguin swim around and chase Bea.

For 10 minutes I watched and reveled in the world of an almost three-year-old. The whole week prior to going we built up the aquarium buzz for Bea, and almost every time we asked her what she wanted to see, she said:

"Penguin!"

There you go, baby. There you go.

IMG 1047

No comments:

Post a Comment